Thursday, September 17, 2009

Carol's first trout trip

Welcome to my first venture into blogging.

Since I rarely get to write about my personal fishing trips in my articles, this is my chance to brag or whine about my fishing trips. I also will give some comments on some of the products I used during the trips.

Last weekend, my wife Carol and I attended a Missouri Outdoors Communicators conference at Branson and after the conference, we decided to spend an extra day at Lilley's Landing (http://www.lilleyslanding.com/) and rent one of their boats to try some trout fishing at Lake Taneycomo. Since it was Carol's first trout fishing trip, I set her up with a drift rig and nightcrawlers and she caught a limit of rainbows. She was able to bait her own hook since we tried a new device, Uncle Jack's Worm Slicer and Line Puller (http://www.unclejackswormslicer.com/), that made it easy to slice the worms into smaller pieces without all the mess.

I managed to catch a limit of trout on a 1/32 ounce olive green jig and also caught four or five more Carolina-rigging a fluoroscent orange Berkley Gulp trout worm.

The next day I went to the dam and forced myself to fish with a fly rod while Carol went shopping. I did manage to catch one rainbow, had a brown trout break off and had another brown jump off. When Carol got back to pick me up, I asked her to give me 45 minutes with my spinning rod and proceeded to catch three rainbows and had four other strikes before my time ran out. Maybe next time I will start with my strengths and finish with the fly rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment